More About the 2017 National Conference on Science Education
Browse the program preview, or check out more sessions and other events with the LA Session Browser/Personal Scheduler. Follow all our conference tweets using #NSTA17, and if you tweet, please feel free to tag us @NSTA so we see it! Need to request funding or time off? Download this letter of support.
The mission of NSTA is to promote excellence and innovation in science teaching and learning for all.
Professional Learning Institutes (PLIs) are focused, content-based programs that explore key topics in science/STEM education in depth. One-Day PLIs are a preconference full-day session only. Full PLIs begin with a full-day preconference session, followed by pathway sessions that offer further exploration of the topics covered. PLIs are presented by experts in science/STEM education, professional learning, standards implementation, assessment, curriculum, and resources/materials development. Institutes are offered in conjunction with the NSTA National Conference on Science Education and require conference registration.
At the Los Angeles Conference, full PLIs will begin with the preconference one-day session on Wednesday, March 29, 2017, from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, by preregistration only. The pathway sessions will be scheduled on Thursday, March 30, 2017, and/or Friday, March 31, 2017. The PLI One Day Work Sessions will be held only on Wednesday, March 29, as preconference sessions only.
Los Angeles, California: March 29, 2017
- PLI-1: Disciplinary Core Ideas: Reshaping Teaching and Learning
- PLI-2: Helping Students Make Sense of the World Using Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices
- PLI-3: Uncovering Students’ and Teachers’ Ideas with Three-Dimensional Formative Assessment Probes and Techniques
- PLI-4: Argument-Driven Inquiry: Transforming Laboratory Experiences so Students can use Core ideas, Crosscutting Concepts, and Scientific Practice to Make Sense of Natural Phenomena
- PLI-5: Moving Standards into Practice: Five Tools and Processes for Translating the NGSS into Instruction and Classroom Assessment
- PLI-6: District Level Administrators: You are not alone in the NGSS Universe!
- PLI-7: Equity in STEM Education
- PLI-8: Picture-Perfect STEM Lessons, K–5: Using Children’s Books to Inspire STEM Learning
Professional Learning Institute (PLI) Ticket Scholarship Opportunity
The Northrop Grumman Foundation is providing free PLI attendance (a $150 value) to Los Angeles area teachers attending the NSTA National Conference in Los Angeles, March 29–April 2, 2017.
To qualify for a PLI Ticket Scholarship you need to be:
- A full-time teacher of science, technology, or engineering working within a 100 mile radius of Los Angeles.
- Registered for the NSTA National Conference in Los Angeles March 29–April 2, 2017 and able to attend the PLI, which is a preconference all-day session on March 29.
Please complete a short eligibility survey via this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PLI17
You will receive an email confirming your scholarship once you are accepted based on the criteria listed.
If you have any questions, please contact Wendy Binder at email@example.com.
Future NSTA Conferences
2017 National Conference
2017 STEM Forum & Expo