Social Media Primer

In this video, columnists Ben Smith and Jared Mader share information from their Science 2.0 column, “Social Media Primer,” that appeared in a recent issue of The Science Teacher. Read the article here: http://bit.ly/1OY0772

This entry was posted in Science 2.0. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

Posted September 17, 2015 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the overview. There are so many sites to keep up with–any suggestions about which two or three would be best to start or keep up with?

2. Jared Mader
    Posted September 22, 2015 at 6:49 am | Permalink

Hi Peggy,
    Great question! We are BIG fans of blogs and microblogs as they provide students with an excellent forum to communicate and collaborate with their peers. Further, each option that we shared allow for the teacher to moderate so that posts can be vetted before sending to the live post. Start with Edublogs or Blogger to create a room that extends beyond the four walls of the traditional science class!

3. John Giacobbe
    Posted December 24, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

nice primer! although I was familiar with all the apps you talked about, it was inspiring to think how they might be used for education, beyond their relatively trivial social media origins. thanks!

4. Jeffrey Haviland
    Posted June 21, 2016 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I think this a really great overview of how social media can be used a positive thing, especially in the educational world. There are so many great examples of how to share your ideas and findings with other educators. I teach at the elementary level but I find myself using many of these forms of social media to enhance my classroom. I am constantly using Pintrest to look for new lessons or just different ways to teach a topic. I also set up a Youtube channel for my classroom so that the students can upload videos they make. Then we can easily share with parents what we are doing. Now, my students are too young to be using Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, but we do use something called Seesaw. Seesaw has quickly become on of my favorite apps to use within the classroom. It allows students to upload work that they have done. Once they upload it, they can comment on and like others items that students in the class have uploaded. On top of that, parents can download the app Seesaw for Parents and can view everything that students are working on in class. It is an easy way to keep parents informed and it allows students to feel like they are using something like Facebook without actually logging onto it.

One other bit of information I found useful was the website that was mentioned last. IFTTT is not something I knew about previous to watching this video, but I will definitely be looking into it. It seems like it would really help me to stay better organized. Thanks for sharing all this information!

5. Ashley Mollica
    Posted June 21, 2016 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I thought this video blog was fabulous for the fellow teacher. Often, social media gets such a negative rep because you don’t typically hear how it is used for good things in education. As a third grade teacher, when I hear about social media from my students, it’s usually about kids or parents fighting with each other of insignificant things that leads to major DRAMA! However, this video blog was so refreshing to hear and learn about the MANY GOOD ways social media can be used in the classroom and education. I was familiar with most of the social media websites that were discussed, however; I didn’t realize that I could use them in the classroom. One thing that I may try out this year is creating a blog to share things going on in my classroom with the community or people in the district. I never really got into blogs per say because I went right into the Facebook world. This opened my eyes to seeing social media in a new light and a way of sharing things with others professionally of what is happening in my classroom! My favorite part of this video was the BONUS of learning about “If this, Then that” because I never have heard of this! This is an excellent way to save things from all social media sites and organize them so that I can refer to the articles, videos, pictures, or blogs later! This was a great video for educators to see because it definitely gives a good perspective on social media! Thanks for sharing all of this information and showing me how I can use social media as POSITIVE way in my classroom and professionally.

6. Jason Best
    Posted June 28, 2016 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

This is a refreshing look at social media and how it can be used in a positive way to help influence education. So often we hear of social media having a negative affect on our students. The most common complaint we have with social media is the cyber bullying of our students. We also hear of people posting inappropriate material or even arguing over social media. In college we were encouraged to delete our social media accounts upon graduation. Our professors kept telling us how they could negatively affect our careers if employers saw them. At my current school district we are encouraged to have no interaction with students and parents through social media. The district does this to try and protect us from any possible negative outcomes. It’s nice to finally see that there is some good to having social media accounts. Before seeing this video I didn’t realize there were so many good uses for social media. I may not be allowed to interact with my students through social media, but I am looking forward into using it as a professional development tool. I’m especially looking forward to checking into the site “If This, Then That.” I also like the thought of using social media as a way to corroborate with other educators.

Thanks for sharing!