Formative Assessment with Online Tools

In this video, columnists Ben Smith and Jared Mader share information from their Science 2.0 column, “Formative Assessment with Online Tools,” that appeared in a recent issue of The Science Teacher. Read the article here: http://bit.ly/1HbwZq1

This entry was posted in Science 2.0. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Marissa Stoner
    Posted June 22, 2015 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you for all of the valuable information within this video. As an educator, all of these free online formative assessment tools that you provided short introductions about are awesome. It can be hard to find resources that you can collect data from and that are free. I love the versatility of the Internet based programs like Kahoot! which has assessment tools through games, quizzes, and discussions, and then you provided websites like Plickers that does not require a device for every student, but still can provide you with valuable data from each student. I cannot wait to try the following websites (Kahoot!, Socrative, Poll Everywhere, Nearpod, and Plickers) that you provided and find one that will work in my classroom. I too agree that Formative assessments are so important in gauging your instruction, as well as having concrete data to support and give reasons to change pace while teaching in classroom. This is a great video that not only lists five valuable resources, but it also shows you how each site is set up and can be used.

2. Jessica Rylands
    Posted June 29, 2015 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Formative Assessments can be a challenging task to do in a timely manor. I love all of the resources that you have provided for us to use in the classroom in order to give simple and engaging assessments. I started using Kahoot! in my classroom at the end of the school year and my students loved it. It was a great tool for me to see what objectives students have mastered and which objectives I need to review with my class. It engaged my students and caused them to strive hard to get the correct answer. The programs Socrative, Poll Everywhere, and Nearpods are new to me however they all seem like very engaging and useful resources. At the end of every lesson I give an exit ticket to see what my student understood and what I need to review again, I cannot wait to use Poll Everywhere to make engaging exit tickets. I am very fortunate to work in a school district where all of my students have their own iPad, I incorporate them into lessons as much as I can because I know they are engage the students. Plickers looks like an awesome resource for teachers who are unable to have one-to-one technology usage. Technology fascinates me in all that it can do such as determine what answers students have chosen. All of these resources provided will make giving formative assessments simple and easy.

3. Samantha Garrity
    Posted June 20, 2016 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Thank you for such an informative post! Within the next few years, my district will be purchasing one to one devices for all students. As excited as I am for this, I cannot help but feel overwhelmed by all the technology tools out there that I am not yet familiar with. The information you provided is of great value to me as I begin my quest for engaging online assessment tools. Kahoot is an amazing tool that quickly became one of my favorites this year and is now a staple in my classroom. The quick pace, suspenseful music, and instant feedback keeps competition lively and learners engaged. I have never seen students so excited to take a quiz! I especially love the amount of data that the result reports give. They offer a clear class breakdown of how all students did on each question with percentages and raw numbers. Plickers sounds like an excellent alternative for teachers who do have access to devices for all students. Again, I like the immediate data feedback that is available through this tool. I plan to explore Plickers as well as Socrative, Poll Everywhere, and Nearpod next year with my third graders. Thank you for a great introduction to these. I am continually amazed by how technology can completely transform learning.

4. Allyson Valentovich
    Posted June 20, 2016 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all the different ideas I can use in my classroom. Kahoot is definetly a program I look forward to using in my classroom someday. It’s definitely a tool that students will have fun with while the teacher gets feedback from each student. I really like the versatility of the program! Socrative is also a great tool for teachers to utilize in the classroom. I have used exit tickets before in the classroom setting as a substitute teacher, but not using a computer, Ipad, or other form of technology. All of the programs that were overviewed in the video can be a great asset to any classroom. Unfortunately, though, not every classroom has technology devices available to each student at once. Some of the programs though students could share a device or take turns, but not all of them. Plickers is a great program that does not require all students to have a technology device. I look forward to using some of these programs in the near future.

5. Lisa McLean
    Posted June 21, 2016 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I loved the ideas used in the video for formative assessment. Our school actually uses Kahoot and for teacher meetings. We use this to see if all the teachers are up to speed on current events for the school. I really like how you can adapt and create quizzes on almost any subject. It is such a motivating and competitive tool to use to check for understanding on certain topics. It didn’t mention it in the video, but after the quiz on Kahoot, the students can vote if they had fun or not using smiley faces, so you can see if they enjoyed the assessment on the device. Perfect for third graders!

Our school also used nearpod. They are introduced to this in computer class. It is similar to Kahoot but more interactive and complex. My class actually did a practice of nearpod with an already made quiz on tree bark, and it was neat to see what they knew about it and they had to use the computer to draw a trunk of tree. Sharing their drawing was neat for the whole class because you are able to how students interpret certain things.

6. Lori Fulkerson
    Posted June 21, 2016 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for sharing this great information! They all appear to be great tools to help gather solid data that will help drive your instruction in a blink of an eye! For me, extra time is certainly something that I need in the classroom. This is a great way to get that time while engaging students in a fun and competitive way, giving feedback instantly.

I really like Kahoot and have played it several times. It is super engaging with bright colors and fun music. Where I teach, we are assessed through Kahoot on the various topics that are addressed during in-service days. It is so much fun! The teachers really get into it and it is certainly competitive! We even win prizes! I can’t wait to take a closer look at Socrative, Poll Everywhere, Near Pod, and Plickers. They are all new to me. A feature that I really like is the area where you can see if all of your students are participating. I feel like that is a must with formative assessment games because they can be so fast paced. It would be easy to overlook a student that is not participating. I also like that pictures and drawing can also be part of the assessment as well. They definitely look like great tools to check the understanding of your students quickly.
    Thank you for sharing this valuable information. Great Post!

7. Jessica Cree
    Posted June 17, 2017 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this in-depth look at the great variety of ways to utilize technology for formative assessments. I am somewhat familiar with Plickers and know that this tool can be a very engaging way to assess students without them even knowing that’s what I am doing. It is an excellent, low-risk way for all students to participate in the lesson being taught. I love the Exit Ticket feature in Socrative as well as the immediate results so that I, as the teacher, can adjust my instruction accordingly.
    Nearpod seems to be extremely teacher and student friendly and would be easily accessed by students using their assigned Chrome Books. I also appreciate that the teacher has the ability to send the content right to them without the need for a projector as this allows for more flexibility in the classroom. Overall great options for formative assessment that I look forward to utilizing in my own classroom and to sharing with my colleagues.