After reading the moving NPR story of a neurosurgeon who thanked his high school science teacher, investigative reporter Steve Silberman began to imagine all the other stories out there of a teacher’s influence on prominent writers, teachers, and scientists. “It struck me how rarely we hear from accomplished people about the debt they owe their teachers,” writes Silberman in the NeuroTribes blog on PLoS Blogs. Lucky for us, Silberman approached a number of scientists and writers and asked them “What’s the most important lesson you learned from a teacher?” Read the wonderful submissions he received from award-winning science journalists, best-selling authors, and researchers paying tribute to the teachers who influenced their paths. The stories are both entertaining and inspiring. As Silberman notes, “The words of a true teacher stay with us a long time, offering wise counsel in a confusing world and a potent inoculation against foolishness.” What’s the most important lesson you learned from a teacher?
E-mail notificationsFor more control over your e-mail notifications, log in to the NSTA blog (at the bottom of the right column).
- Displaying Student Work
- Next Generation Science Standards Turn 1!
- What Does the Lorax Say?
- Language development in science
- #NSTA14 Boston Stories
- Top 10 reasons for visting the conference exhibit hall
- Elementary Extravaganza, Ramps and pathways
- Great ideas from Boston
- NSTA National Conference in Boston–early childhood too!
- Share Your Conference Experience
- Students as peer-editors (p. 2)
- Students as peer-editors
- Scope on the skies
- So what is a “must do” at an NSTA Conference?
- Going Wild with the Go Wireless Temp Sensor
- List.Ly on Flatten the Classroom with the iGo Microscope
- Steve Rich on What Does the Lorax Say?
- Anonymous on Aligning curriculum, instruction, and assessment with the NGSS and Framework
- Amy Gilbert on Share Your Conference Experience
- Gail Laubenthal on Share Your Conference Experience
- Elizabeth Petersen on Share Your Conference Experience
- Cheska on Share Your Conference Experience
- Peggy Ashbrook on Share Your Conference Experience
- Mary B on So what is a “must do” at an NSTA Conference?
- Bev DeVore-Wedding on So what is a “must do” at an NSTA Conference?