Flipping your classroom

February’s Science 2.0 column focuses on how you can transform your classroom by using video lectures. Check out these videos by two of the pioneers of this approach:

YouTube Preview Image YouTube Preview Image

More videos on flipping your classroom are available here.

Additional resources.

This entry was posted in Science 2.0 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Posted January 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Has anyone tried a free alternative to Camtasia (e.g., CamStudio)? Would Jing work well enough for this purpose?

2. Martin Horejsi
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Apple’s QuickTime 10 (which is included in Snow Leopard (10.6x) allows audio, video (through webcam), and screen capture. It does not have the power or editing tools of other screen capture/video tools, but it is “free.”

I’ve experimented with running both the video capture and the screen capture at the same time in order to have a webcam picture on top of the application I’m using. However, I have yet to be able to get the sound recorded correctly for playback. I’m going to keep playing with it, however.

Either way, the video or screen capture are great tools independently.

3. Kristen Kalinowski
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I am not currently teaching, however part of my graduate class I was required to develop a lesson plan in either a math or science topic. After seeing this column, I decided to attempt to create a lesson plan for kindergarten/ first grade utilizing the flip approach. I really liked the idea of giving the students information prior to class exploration. My lesson topic was plant development. During the classroom phase I would theoretically be working with the students as they planted seeds and recorded observations. I thought that a good way to introduce the topic would be to share the story through a narrated slide show and then they would view videos in which I demonstrated how to plant seeds and plants and also identified plant parts. I have been back and forth about this approach. I feel that it has its benefits and also downfalls. The 5 E approach calls for students to have exploration time prior to being given the information. This approach conflicts with that. I will be interested to see how student performance compares in both methods.

4. Brunsell
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Kristen-
    There does not need to be a conflict between these approaches. In fact, my mantra is ABC – activity before content. You are spot on with the importance of exploration time before the introduction of new content. In a “flipped” classroom, you just have students view the video podcast as homework after they participate in an exploratory activity.

5. BLee
    Posted April 8, 2012 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

The problem with having them do the exploration one day, and then view the lesson that evening for homework, is that you now have to use the NEXT day as the “work day” to get the homework assignment finished during class. I teach 8th grade math, and we unfortunately rarely have that kind of time. So, when we do the flipped classroom, they spend the next day working with a partner on the homework assignment. I am not sold on being able to do both flipped and 5E effectively in the middle school math classroom. Both are excellent teaching methods, but I just don’t see where you can do both in one lesson.

6. Brunsell
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

It depends on how you define a lesson. I view a lesson as a “chunk” of material that makes up a full unit — it may take more than one day. The 5E model does not need to be completed in one day – instead, it is a learning cycle approach to instructional design. Students explore an idea before being formally introduced to the concept. Then, they practice and apply the concept. In many situations, the idea of the “Flipped Classroom” can work very well with the 5E approach. However, the real power of the flipped classroom comes when you make the switch to mastery learning — not all students are at the same point at the same time. When you do it this way, students watch the video lecture when they are ready for it – at home or at school – as they progress through a module.